Thing #17 Podcastically Terrific


Truly one of my favorite technology tools to use is podcasting. I first was turned on to the idea when I subscribed to the Mike and Mike Podcast on ESPN PODCENTER a couple of year ago and I always said that I wanted to create something like that. Well, thanks to a good friend of mine Curtissa Greene I was turned on to using Garage Band on our macs to create podcast for my students. For this assignment, I reviewed a few sites to continue to grab ideas that I can use in the classroom. I listened to Grammar Girl,The Math Factor Podcast, and mathgrad podcast to all I enjoyed immensely. What I was looking for was how to use my subject more often in podcast situations. Prior to listening I tried a couple of podcast search engines like EPN, Learn Out Loud, and Podcastdirectory.com. I found the most out of the Podcast Directory site that was most useful for the grade level that I teach. I noticed however, that the United Kingdom had far more entries than the U.S. I've listened to many of these podcast before, trying to once again, listen to all the different styles of delivery and uses. I do this because I use podcasting pretty often in my class. For one, I use it for my spelling test weekly. Each Friday, prior to our normal rotation, my classroom Administrative Assistant will log into our class podcasting site (Smittie's People Podcast) and my students will take their Spelling test. I also use podcasting for story telling, learning multiples in math, study guides through Smittie's Studio of Study and my favorites Ask Desiree and Dis Is How D Does It. " Ask Desiree is a show that currently has five episodes where students will write in to ask questions dealing with math topics that are difficult for them to understand and Desiree will answer them in her own unique way. Dis is How D Does It is new to our site, and it stars another student, Demitrius. Demetrius or "D" puts his own twist to the latest discussions over the Social Studies topics in class along with simple "guy stuff". We have several parents subscribe to the episodes and download them into itunes. I'm currently submitting Ask Desiree in the iTunes podcast directory. Our next goal is to place all of our tutorials for using mac applications from our Extra Credit Project Site and create learning podcast for other classes in our school to use. Along with that students are podcasting in the class next week where they are choosing an historical figure from the Recent Social Studies units (Civil War, The Great Migration, World War I and II, and The 19th Ammendment) and interview them using Garage Band. The results will be posted on our Extra Credit Project Site. and on Smittie's People Podcast site

No comments: